Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Prayer In My Pocket

A febrile seizure, also known as a fever fit or febrile convulsion, is a convulsion triggered by a rise in body temperature. They most commonly occur in children between the ages of 3 months and 5 years and are twice as common in boys than girls.[1] The direct cause of a febrile seizure is not known; however, it is normally precipitated by a recent upper respiratory infection or gastroenteritis. A febrile seizure is the effect of a sudden rise in temperature (>39°C/102°F) rather than a fever that has been present for a prolonged length of time.[1]
Febrile seizures represent the meeting point between a low seizure threshold (genetically and age-determined; some children have a greater tendency to have seizures under certain circumstances) and a trigger, which is fever. The genetic causes of febrile seizures are still being researched. Some mutations that cause a neuronal hyperexcitability (and could be responsible for febrile seizures) have already been discovered.




I keep thinking "something just never get easy" I guess I wan't hoping a seizure would get easy rather I wish when Linkin was going through one that I wouldn't react as if it was the first time. After 5 years I wish I was in better control of my emotions when it is happening but no, I freak out just as I did the first time I saw him go through it.



Anyway, I thank my Father in Heaven for watching over Linkin. For keeping him safe. For protecting him through the seizure. Every time Linkin is faced with a seizure it reminds me the blessing of good health. I am always amazing how Linkin fights through these trials and always has a happy positive attitude. He has never said "why me" or expressed any frustration for his challenges. What a wonderful, wonderful example his is to me.


My prayer is that his body will quickly recover and fight off whatever is causing this fever/sickness.

3 comments:

rebekahmott said...

I am sorry that it has to happen. I am sorry that you have to deal with it. I totally understand your reaction and it is probably something that will never get easy. I don't think it should. He is your son that you love! It is okay to not deal with it. I Love Linkin and think that he is such a strong spirit that these experiences are just a part of life for him. I love that he can deal with it like a pro, and both you and Seth are the best parents for him, hands down. I am behind you when every you need someone to vent to.

Suzette Graham said...

Parenting is really the hardest job. Sometimes parenting is really hard. sometimes some people seem to have a harder job than others, but sometimes it just looks that way.
What am I saying, I don't know. I just wish Linkin didn't have seizures. I wish Chelsea and Seth didn't have to be worried about that and I wish Linkin didn't have to go through that. But I know that other people go through worse stuff so I don't want to seem ungrateful. What am I saying? I don't know.

robin said...

ugh. sorry chelsea. and sorry linkin. that is no fun.

oliver had one in april and i wasn't there to witness it, thank goodness.
i would have FREAKED out.

i'm sorry chelsea. . .