Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Off Work

As seen in my previous blog I have a rash I have been dealing with. I know it isn't the best topic to write on but my mind if full and I need to get out some thoughts. Turns out the "mild but intensely itch" rash I had with my other two children has returned with this pregnancy but has come on with a vengeance and is actually a rare autoimmune disorder called pemphigoid gestationis. In just a matter of days it gotten a bit out of hand. What started as a red itchy belly has turned in to a full body nightmare.

I have been in an out of various doctors offices. Since it is rare "pregnancy disease" it has been a new adventure for most doctors I have seen. My first visit to my OBG regarding the rash I was told I also had gestational diabetes. I actually almost laughted at the doctor when he told me this because I didn't have it with my other two and figured they must have gotten me confused with someone else. Turns out after another test that I do in fact have it. However gestational diabetes is well know in the world of OBG's so it was not big thing, I can monitor it with my eating and should be fine. However when you have pemphigoid gestationis the treatment is steriods and one of the side effects of the steriods is an increase in blood sugar levels. As the high risk doctors said "This would only effect you if you had GD" Me, laughing out of sheer disbelief "I do have it actually." I didn't have it with my other two why, why all of this in one pregnancy? So, most likely I will begin insulin on Friday after they get an idea of where my blood sugar is once I have a full day on the steriods.

So what does this all mean? I will be closely monitored by the diabetes center and my OBG. Off work until delivery. I will have non-stress tests done twice a week, a few more ultra sounds to monitor the baby and most likely and early delivery. Hopefully my body will be helpful and respond to the different medications and work with me on this.

What else does this mean? I am not a fan of being in public. I am tired from lack of sleep. The itching is horrible and sends me into meltdowns regularly.

I am not looking for sympathy just typing out my thoughts about the whole situation. Just praying God will guide me through these next few weeks with safety and peace of mind.

6 comments:

The Fear Fam said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Chelsea! We will be praying for you!

wylie said...

Chelsea! I am so sorry! Pregnancy is hard enough without all these other complications! I will be praying for you and hope you feel better!

rebekahmott said...

you have always been in my thoughts and prayers, They will just be more spacific. Love ya!

Laurie Von said...

oh chels! that is indeed HORRIBLE. i'll chat with seth dogg and see what i can do. ttys babe.

Anonymous said...

Did they say you need to stay off your feet too?

Lyndee said...

Oh you poor thing, Chelsea. You will be in my prayers too!!! What an awful thing to have to deal with. You are such a positive person and such an inspiration, the fact that you can STILL be funny at such an itchy time is amazing!